Alexis S. Axelrad
Alexis S. Axelrad
Born in New York City, Alexis S. Axelrad has two decades of experience in immigration and nationality law. Ms. Axelrad received her B.A. from the University of Maryland at College Park in 1994. After earning her J.D. from New York Law School, Ms. Axelrad was admitted to practice in New York in 1998.
Ms. Axelrad has been active in the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) since she began practicing law. Ms. Axelrad currently serves as an Elected Director of AILA National’s Board of Governors (BOG) and served as the Chair of the Vermont Service Center committee from June 2013 to June 2015. She currently serves as the Chair of AILA National’s Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Committee and a Past Vice-Chair and was a member of AILA National’s USCIS Headquarters Benefits/Policy Committee for over a decade. Ms. Axelrad is a past chair of the New York Chapter of AILA and served in every capacity on the NY chapter’s executive committee. She is currently the Emeritus Chair of the New York Chapter of AILA’s Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Committee and a member of the District Director Committee for over ten years. Ms. Axelrad is also a member of the Executives Association of New York and is an elected member of the organization’s Board of Directors.
Ms. Axelrad is the recipient of the AILA President’s Commendation Award for Outstanding Service, June 2008-2010 & 2014 & 2019. New York Super Lawyers has listed her in the ‘rising stars’ section of top immigration attorneys in New York in 2011 and 2012, and as a Super Lawyer from 2011 to present. She is recognized by Chambers & Partners USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Ms. Axelrad is also a proud member of Vistage International, a professional development and executive coaching program.
Ms. Axelrad is a frequent national and international speaker on US Immigration Law and served as the author of a quarterly column on immigration matters published in the New York Law Journal. Ms. Axelrad was the researcher and writer of US Immigration Laws: Working, Living and Studying in America (1999). Ms. Axelrad maintains a busy corporate and family-based immigration practice with a particular emphasis on interaction with the various offices of Department of Homeland Security and the Justice Department including USCIS, Department of State, and Customs and Border Protection.
University of Maryland at College Park, B.A., 1994
New York Law School, J.D., 1997
State Bar of New York, 1998
Honors & Distinctions
- AILA National USCIS CBP Committee, Chair, June 2018 to Present
- AILA National USCIS CBP Committee, Vice-Chair and Member, June 2016 to June 2018
- AILA National USCIS HQ Benefits Committee, Member, June 2015
- AILA National USCIS HQ Benefits Committee, Emeritus Member, 2010-2011, Vice-Chair, 2009-2010; Past Member 2006-2008
- AILA National Liaison Taskforce, Member, June 2015 to June 2016
- AILA Board of Governors (BOG), Director, June 2012 to June 2015, June 2016 to Present
- Elected to Board of Directors of the Executives Association of New York, Professional Networking group requiring nomination and acceptance for membership, January 2016 to Present, Member 2013 to Present
- AILA New York Chapter, District Director Committee, Secretary, 2006 to 2007
- AILA New York Chapter, Executive Committee, Treasurer, 2007 to present
- Recipient of the AILA President’s Commendation Award for Outstanding Service on the USCIS Liaison Committee, Inter-agency Committee & Customs & Border Protection (CBP), June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, June 2014, June 2019
- List of New York Metro Super Lawyers (Rising Stars & Super Lawyer), 2011 to Present
- Recognized by Chambers & Partners, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2010 to Present
New York Law Journal, December 2014
New York Law Journal, September 2014
New York Law Journal, July 2014
New York Law Journal, March 2015